young Aboriginal support program
The young Aboriginal support program is for all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 12-25 in Northern Tasmania.
What do we do?
There are several ways that we work:
- We can provide individual support to help you create goals and achieve them. These goals are completely up to you. They might include staying engaged with school, accessing health services, improving your relationship with family and friends, worries about school or work or maintaining community and cultural connections
- We provide education and information programs in schools on issues that are relevant to young people. Some of these might be relationships, drug and alcohol, self esteem, sexuality, sexual health, budgeting and money matters.
- We also attend community events, so keep an eye out for us!
How do I access yAsp?
YET aims to provide a service for young people who fall through the gaps between office-based primary care mental health services and tertiary level services, such as Adult Community Mental Health Services (ACMHS) and Child Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).
YET aims to reengage the young person in school, employment and other supports and activities as identified by the young person. YET also aims to decrease hospital admission rates for young people with more complex presentations.
- By providing an Assertive Clinical Outreach Model of Care, incorporating a range of biopsychosocial interventions depending on the needs and preferences of the young person
- This can include working with the young person’s family and / or school, and linking with community agencies to increase support and access to services
- YET also provide secondary consultation to community staff and agencies who provide support young people with complex mental health difficulties including schools, youth shelters, and housing agencies
- YET is provided at no cost
Self-referrals are welcome. GPs, schools, parents and family, and other services can also make referrals.
If you have any questions, or would like more information about the young Aboriginal support program, please get in touch.
The young Aboriginal support program (yAsp) is funded by the Australian Government through the National Indigenous Australians Agency